- MEEM 930
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- Faculty Advisor, SENSE Enterprise
- Ph.D., Acoustics, The Pennsylvania State University
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Michigan Technological University
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Michigan Technological University
Dr. Andrew Barnard is an assistant professor of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University. Prior to this appointment in 2014, he was a research associate at the Applied Research Laboratory at Penn State University for eight years. He received his B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan Tech in 2002 and 2004, respectively. He received a PhD in Acoustics from Penn State University in 2010. Dr. Barnard is Board Certified by the Institute for Noise Control Engineering (INCE) and is a Certified LabVIEW developer (CLD). Dr. Barnard has interests in acoustics, noise control, and vibration. Currently, he is interested in thermoacoustic thin-film loudspeakers made from carbon nanotubes (CNT) and how these ultra-lightweight devices can be used in consumer and industrial products. He is also interested in noise control methods for underwater electro-mechanical machines, such as electric motors and actuators. Finally, he is interested in the field of sports stadium noise, particularly football, both in fully quantifying the sound on the playing surface and evaluating new and unique visualization methods for crowd noise feedback in real time.
Areas of Expertise
- Noise Control
- Real Time Control Systems
- LabVIEW programming and instruction
- Advanced Measurements and Signal Processing
- Acoustic Intensity and Vector Sensors
- Room Acoustics
- Acoustic Material Characterization
- Outdoor Sound Propagation
- Physical Acoustics
- NI LabVIEW Data Acquisition and Control
- Crowd Noise
- Underwater Acoustics
- Structural Acoustics
- Array Signal Processing
Recent Peer Reviewed Publications
- Barnard, Andrew R., "Quantifying Acoustic Sources through Sound Power Measurements," Sound and Vibration, Materials Reference Issue, Jul 2014, Vol. 48, No. 7, pp. 8 – 11
- Barnard, Andrew R., Brungart, Timothy A., McDevitt, Timothy E., Aliev, Ali E., Jenkins, David M., Kline, Brian L., Baughman, Ray H., "Advancements Toward a High-power, Carbon Nanotube, Thin-film Loudspeaker," Noise Control Engineering Journal, Sep 2014, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2014, pp.360 – 367, DOI: 10.3397/1/376235 Read More
- Barnard, Andrew, Brungart, Timothy, McDevitt, Timothy, Jenkins, David, Kline, Brian, 2013, “Feasibility of a high-powered carbon nanotube thin-film loudspeaker,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Express Letters, 134(3), EL276-EL281.
- Barnard, Andrew, Hambric, Stephen, Maynard, Julian, 2012, “Underwater measurement of sound power and directivity using Supersonic Intensity in Reverberant Environments,” J. Sound and Vib., 331, pp. 3931-3944.
- Conlon, Stephen, Evans, Samuel, Smith, Edward, Romano, Peter, Barnard, Andrew, 2012, “OH-58 Tailboom Damage Detection Study,” Proc. Am. Helicopter Society 68th Annual Meeting, May 2012, Fort Worth, TX.
- Barnard, Andrew, Porter, Scott, Bostron, Jason, terMeulen, Ryan, Hambric, Stephen, 2011, “Evaluation of crowd noise levels during college football games,” Noise Control Eng. J., 59(6), pp. 667-680.
- Barnard, Andrew, Hambric, Stephen, 2011, “Design and implementation of a shielded underwater vector sensor for laboratory environments,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 130(6), EL387-EL391.
- Semperlotti, Fabio, Conlon, Stephen, Barnard, Andrew, 2011, “Airframe structural damage detection: A non-linear structural surface intensity based technique,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 129(4), EL121-EL127.
- Jason Bostron, Timothy Brungart, Andrew Barnard, Timothy McDevitt, “Atmospheric effects on voice command intelligibility from acoustic hail and warning devices,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 129(4), 2237-2244, (2011).
- Andrew Barnard, David Jenkins, Timothy Brungart, Timothy McDevitt, Brian Kline, Nicholas Nicholas, “Beam steering for a long range acoustic hail and warning device for maritime applications,” Noise Control Eng. J., 59(1), 1-9, (2011).
- Timothy Brungart, Andrew Barnard, Timothy McDevitt, David Jenkins, Brian Kline, Nicholas Nicholas, “Development of a long range acoustic hail and warning device for maritime applications,” Noise Control Eng. J., 57(1), 1-9, (2009).
- Andrew Barnard, Philip Gillett, Kamal Idrisi, Stephen Hambric, Marty Johnson, “Noise levels during college football games and associated effects on players and fans,” Proc. of 2008 ASME NCAD Conference, NCAD2008-73012, Dearborn, MI, (2008).